Why TLP made this Class:
- We made this class because many New Yorkers want to engage in the sharing economy by doing Airbnb or other short-term subleasing in their NYC apartments without breaking the law or legally jeopardizing their tenancies.
- New Yorkers want to learn best practices for avoiding trouble if they are doing everything with respect to their short-term subletting legally.
- Thus, we made this class, which comes with a 40-page book, eight video lessons containing 72 minutes of material, and a 30-question quiz.
This class is for the following people:
- people who rent an apartment in a one or two family home
- people who rent an apartment in a building with three or more units
- Rent Stabilized tenants
- free market tenants
- co-op shareholders
- people renting an apartment from a co-op shareholder or condo unit owner
- Interim Multiple Dwelling tenants
In this class, you will learn:
- About the short term leasing law and what exactly is prohibited; we will examin:
- The Multiple Dwelling Law
- The Housing Maintenance Code
- The basic rule about what you can and cannot do in New York City
- How not to confuse short-term subletting with a tenant’s right to a roommate or to sublet
- How a lease can prohibit short-term subletting
- How Rent Stabilized tenants have further prohibitions against short-term subletting
- About co-ops and short-term subletting
- About lofts and short-term subletting
- How tenants may not alter their apartments in order to do short-term subletting
- How your Airbnb activity can be detected, including about how these things are used to detect and prove short-term subletting activity:
- Your Airbnb activity online
- Public social media data
- Other tenants and building personnel
- Private investigators working for the landlord
- Keys and lock boxes
- About what can go legally wrong if you do short term subletting in your apartment, including:
- How you might not be distinguishable from a professional operator
- How you might get violations and fines from the City
- About summary holdover proceedings and possible eviction
- About the Tenant Black List
- How your guest might harm someone or something in the building and create legal liability for you
- What is on a checklist for avoiding short-term subletting legal problems
- About short-term subletting success stories
What will you able to do after you fully take this class?
- You will no longer be confused about what manner of short-term subletting is prohibited in the particular type of apartment you live in, so you can make good decisions about if and how to engage in short-term subletting.
- If the ability to short-term sublet is a big deal for you, you will be better able to choose an apartment and sign a lease that permits such activity.
- You will be able to protect yourself from a landlord who claims you are violating the law if, in fact, you are not.
- You will be able to lessen the chances of encountering several short-term subletting legal problems.
Introductory Sales Price:
- Price = $140.00
- BONUS: For a limited time, when you purchase this class you also get the TLP class The Laws About Getting Paint Jobs and Repairs in Your NYC Apartment for free, which is currently listed at $15.