Why TLP made this Class:
- We made this class because many New Yorkers want to engage in the sharing economy by doing Airbnb or other short-term subleasing in their NYC apartments without breaking the law or legally jeopardizing their tenancies.
- New Yorkers want to learn best practices for avoiding trouble if they are doing everything with respect to their short-term subletting legally.
- Thus, we made this class, which comes with a 40-page book, eight video lessons containing 72 minutes of material, and a 30-question quiz.
This class is for the following people:
- people who rent an apartment in a one or two family home
- people who rent an apartment in a building with three or more units
- Rent Stabilized tenants
- free market tenants
- co-op shareholders
- people renting an apartment from a co-op shareholder or condo unit owner
- Interim Multiple Dwelling tenants
In this class, you will learn:
- About the short term leasing law and what exactly is prohibited; we will examin:
- The Multiple Dwelling Law
- The Housing Maintenance Code
- The basic rule about what you can and cannot do in New York City
- How not to confuse short-term subletting with a tenant’s right to a roommate or to sublet
- How a lease can prohibit short-term subletting
- How Rent Stabilized tenants have further prohibitions against short-term subletting
- About co-ops and short-term subletting
- About lofts and short-term subletting
- How tenants may not alter their apartments in order to do short-term subletting
- How your Airbnb activity can be detected, including about how these things are used to detect and prove short-term subletting activity:
- Your Airbnb activity online
- Public social media data
- Other tenants and building personnel
- Private investigators working for the landlord
- Keys and lock boxes
- About what can go legally wrong if you do short term subletting in your apartment, including:
- How you might not be distinguishable from a professional operator
- How you might get violations and fines from the City
- About summary holdover proceedings and possible eviction
- About the Tenant Black List
- How your guest might harm someone or something in the building and create legal liability for you
- What is on a checklist for avoiding short-term subletting legal problems
- About short-term subletting success stories
What will you able to do after you fully take this class?
- You will no longer be confused about what manner of short-term subletting is prohibited in the particular type of apartment you live in, so you can make good decisions about if and how to engage in short-term subletting.
- If the ability to short-term sublet is a big deal for you, you will be better able to choose an apartment and sign a lease that permits such activity.
- You will be able to protect yourself from a landlord who claims you are violating the law if, in fact, you are not.
- You will be able to lessen the chances of encountering several short-term subletting legal problems.
Introductory Sales Price:
- BONUS: For a limited time, when you purchase this class you also get the TLP class The Laws About Painting Your NYC Apartment for free, which is currently listed at $75.